Skincare by itself is very complicated. Considering the number of skin types and their reactions to internal and external factors that leave their mark on the skin. Add to it the problem of sensitive skin, it surely is frustrating and difficult to handle. The stress associated with the problem of having a sensitive skin which gets aggravated by the slightest provocationcould only worsen the problem. If you have sensitive skin, you would have to draw up a skin care regimen with care.
Causes for sensitive facial skin
Though sensitive skin problem can arise at any age, it is most common in babyhood and when your skin starts aging. The causes are many and in most cases could be due to multiple factors in action at the same time. The causes include
- Prolonged stress
- Long periods of sleeplessness
- Hormonal changes
- Reduction in lipid synthesis
- Exposure to excessive heat or cold weather
- Long hours spent in central heating that could dehydrate the skin
- Exposure to UV rays
- Environmental pollution
- Using colorants and fragrances
- Ingredients in skincare
Symptoms of sensitive skin
To craft a skin care routine that does not aggravate your sensitive skin, you must be aware of the symptoms that characterize sensitive skin. It includes
- Flaking of skin
- Dry skin
- Redness of skin
- Prickling sensation
- Burning sensation
The skin care tips
You can reduce the sensitivity of the skin by making appropriate changes to your skin care routines in summer and winter. Dealing effectively with the sensitive skin in the summer includes
- Cleansing– You surelyhave to cleanse your face. But make sure you keep away from foaming cleansers. Try instead micellar water that contains oil molecules or micelles that actually works like a magnet and pulls and the dirt, makeup elements and oil from the skin.
- Use moisturizers– A generous dab of moisturizer will help to restore the Ph balance of the skin. It will help repair the skin cells and reduce signs of aging. It also helps to reduce wrinkles and finelines. It makes even the severely sensitive skin supple, firm and smooth.
- Use a face mask– The face mask should be a welcome addition to your skincare It is because the facemask works well to remove the dirt, dust,and grime from the skin in a better fashion than the regular cleansing. However, the ideal way to use the face mask is to not use it daily but only once or twice in a week.
- Limit getting exposed to the sun- Though exposure to the sun will ensure you get the dose of Vitamin D, it is better not to expose your sensitive skin directly to the sun. sunbathe only under a shelter and make sure you have applied for UV protection broad spectrum cream when you do it.
- Do not use hot water for bathing– Warm water is ideal. Hot water shower will no doubt be refreshing. But it is only a momentary pleasure. This would deplete the skin off the essential oils.
Don’ts in sensitive skin care
Having discussed the tips for skincare in the case of sensitive skin, there are certain things you ought not to do too in your skincare routine. They include avoiding products with ingredients like alcohol, fragrance, soap etc. as well as avoiding harsh cleansing. Never let the makeup stay overnight.
Follow the tips carefully and let your sensitive skin calm down.